Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Internets (according to Steven Colbert)

When we were freshmen in college, having the internet in our rooms was awesome.  I mean, I had the internet at home for many years, but this was my internet connection.  Our computers were plugged into it all the time, 24 hours with our AIM status telling everyone what we were up to or saying something witty or cute.  "VTAngel06: Is at Deet’s getting ice cream with her awesome roommate! Come meet us at Deet’s and be awesome too!!" And we would spend hours on sites like Homestarrunner.com Even though we spent a lot of time on the internet, it was the pre-Facebook age, so it was different.  It was before blogging and twitter.  And even a bit before digital cameras.  A few of our friends had them, but they were on the cutting edge.  Cathy and I (my freshman roommate) were still using film cameras, with only 24 photos a roll.  It was a time when we didn’t want to share everything we were doing with the entire population.  When Facebook came to Virginia Tech, I resisted.  If you remember, only a few colleges were invited to join Facebook at a time, and slowly, almost every college was on the site.  It was only later that they opened it up to everyone, and it became an international phenomenon complete with a ton of advertisements.  I joined Facebook my senior year of college for a class called “Communication, Internet, and Society,” where I was supposed to observe internet interactions and relationships.  At the time, it was novel for me, and academic in nature.  Now, it is completely social for me, and I get on it multiple times a day to "stalk people". In fact, I’m not sure what I would do without Facebook!  I love stalking people and seeing what everyone is doing with their lives.  I love looking at people’s pictures, and looking to see why their relationship status changed. It’s a way of life for me now.  And I love reading people’s blogs to see what they are up to.  I guess it’s really a staple for us, because we live so far away from our friends and family.  This comic made me laugh and saddened me at the same time.  It is so true how attached we have become to the internet.  Just the other day, we were hiking along the beautiful coast of San Diego, and I thought to myself, this is going to make a great blog.  How sad!  So, this is just a small version of my daily thoughts on the internet.  Hope you all enjoy the comic! :) It is from http://xkcd.com/, “A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.”Internet Comic

Link to Original Comic

1 comment:

  1. Today is a big nor'easter in eastern VA. Big rain and wind and all the leaves will now be down. Need some of that nice fall weather to return

    ReplyDelete