Monday, May 31, 2010

Actual Time to Think

I’m sitting on a small pier on the St. John’s river in Jacksonville, FL, listening to the waves crashing against the metal and feeling the wind against my skin telling me a storm is coming.  I’m a little bit chilled, yet I stay and watch the dark clouds roll in and listen to the waves crash with more and more diligence each time, and I feel refreshed.  There is nothing here for me to do but enjoy the sounds of the water and watch the occasional plane fly overhead.  The wind is toying with the spanish moss, and life feels simple and right.  A white crane is fishing on my left, oblivious to my staring, and distantly on my right, cars are scurrying across a bridge, unknowingly being watched by me as I question and contemplate the day to day life of their drivers.  How many of them, I wonder, are stressed out and running late, cursing the car in front of them for driving too slowly?.  How many of them, I wonder, are talking on their cell phones to double the use of their time?  How many, I wonder, are looking out their windows and admiring the beautiful river on either side of them, relishing in the beautiful scene purposefully placed around them? I am reminded of a country song I heard on the radio on my drive to Jacksonville, along I-95 in Georgia.





“So now I'm slowing it down and I'm looking around
And I'm lovin' this town and I'm doing alright
Aint' worried 'bout nothing cept for the man I wanna be
I'm thinking maybe it's time to be livin' the rhyme
When I'm singing a song about nothing but right
And it'd sure be nice if you would roll with me”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoPg1EG2AKk


No comments:

Post a Comment