Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Grape Wine > Rice Wine

I LOVE WINE!  I love going to wineries to sample local varieties.  I love smelling the aromas, the way my taste buds tingle during tastings, and holding my glass up to the light to inspect the liquid in my glass.  I love talking to the owners and wine makers, hearing their stories about the winery, and getting to know the winery dog.  I especially love going on wine trips with my girlfriends!  All in all, I just love wine.  I love the wine itself, and the experience that is wine tasting.  I was really hoping that this love for wine would transfer into a love of sake tasting, but so far, that is not the case.

Before we moved to Japan, I had tried sake a few times, and I never really liked it.  I thought maybe it was because I had never had good sake, or that perhaps it was an acquired taste.  If it is in fact an acquired taste, it is a taste I would like to acquire while we are living in Japan.  The O Club was holding a sake tasting and seminar, so we bought tickets and were excited to learn more about sake and to do some tastings.  This was truly a seminar, and included a three hour lecture on every aspect of sake brewing, tasting, serving, and purchasing that you would ever want to know.  The seminar was taught by a Sake Sommelier, Ad Blankestijn, and most of it was a bit over my head.  Some things I learned about sake:

  • Sake has been the national drink of Japan for almost 2,000 years.

  • Sake is made of rice, koji (a mold), yeast, and water.

  • There are more than 1,400 sake breweries in Japan.

  • Rice comes in different qualities, like everything else.  Who knew?

  • Japanese sake only uses Japanese rice.

  • They have to polish the rice first.  The more expensive your sake, the more polished your rice.

  • There are four grades of sake: Honjozo, Junmai, Ginjo, and Daiginjo.

  • I still have no idea how to tell the difference between the four.

  • Most quality sake is served in wine glasses.

  • Sake is closely connected with Shintoism, and you will see sake barrels at Shinto shrines.


During the lecture, we sampled a variety of sake with food pairings.  I greatly enjoyed the food pairings, especially the sushi and tempura.  The sake on the other hand….not so much.  While I’m glad that we attended this sake tasting, I still have no taste for it.  Most of my glasses stayed full, as I couldn’t bring myself to have more than a few sips.  Despite our first sake tasting lacking anything I could drink, I haven’t given up hope yet!  We still have three years to acquire a taste for sake!

4 comments:

  1. I recommend a trip to Popeye's in Tokyo to sample Japanese Craft Beer. They have 70 beers on tap (including Rogue and several other American Craft Beers. Go on the right night and a free food sampler plate comes with each beer.) Close to EDO museum and Sumo palace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Great to know. We are always looking for places with great craft beers on tap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wellllll, maybe you just need to stay a wine person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We found Popeye's on a weekend in Tokyo and LOVED it!! Thanks for the tip...we will be back many many times! :D

    ReplyDelete