Sunday, June 19, 2011

A new favorite

I've really come to love Ramen since living in Japan.  And not instant ramen, but awesome, homemade, served in a huge ceramic bowl ramen.  I prefer miso based broth, but James often gets a soy based, spicy broth.  The ramen at Japanese noodle shops is very filling, with thick broth, heavy noodles, vegetables, meat, and sometimes eggs.



I crave ramen on cold, rainy days, and with it being the rainy season, I'm craving it quite often.  We have a ramen shop down the road that I enjoy, but my new favorite is about 20 or 30 minutes away.  We probably pass at least 20 ramen shops to get there (and this is a low estimate, trust me) but this ramen is well worth the travel.  Upon entering the ramen shop, you are greeted with a deep bow, and met with an electronic ordering machine.  You insert your money, choose your dinner, and out comes a ticket with your order, which you then give to the wait staff.  I love the ambiance of this particular shop, and I love the food even more.

6 comments:

  1. What a clever idea! The staff don't have to handle money, and I imagine the vending machine is more secure than a cash register. Sounds yummy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ate 冷やし中華? it's a only summer season's menu! I recommend it! And I like 長崎ちゃんぽん(^^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't!! Is it a type of ramen or another food?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the vending machine ordering. I especially like how easy it is to order, and that you can just leave when you are done eating, because you've already paid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 冷やし中華=cold ramen  you can see a pic on the vending machine.
    長崎ちゃんぽんis local ramen in Nagasaki.But we can eat around here.Ringer Hut(ramen chain shop) is reasonable price and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to ask you about this tonight and I forgot!

    ReplyDelete