Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Eagle landed...in San Diego

The Coast Guard’s tall ship The Eagle arrived in San Diego with my brother and his coastie friends on board. Surprisingly enough, I have actually never been on the Eagle until this visit. Usually, I am standing on a pier taking pictures, but this time I actually got to walk on board and go down into the berthing areas. The tour is self guided, and I must say I wasn’t that impressed, as I had to read signs and no one told me anything. Swabs…you need to work on that! The swabs also brought with them wonderful illnesses that I caught: strep throat and pink eye! (Though I'm pretty sure I got the pink eye in the doctors office dealing with the strep...thanks swabs...) But, my brother mentioned a few tidbits here and there, and I got pictures with the wheel, which is really all that is important! :) Even though I think I’ve mentioned this before, I’ll give you a very brief history of the ship. The Eagle was a German ship that was acquired into the US fleet following World War II, and now it serves as a training tool for the Coast Guard Academy. That’s really all you need to know. Tall ships are just cool in general…magnificent in the day and eerie at night. And I dropped these cadets at the ship enough times late at night to know that it is super eerie.

No comments:

Post a Comment